University of Birmingham is pleased to welcome applications for the Cadbury Postdoctoral Fellowship. The Department of African Studies and Anthropology (DASA) at the University of Birmingham is looking out for a postdoctoral fellow in African Studies to add to their teaching, and research for eighteen (18) months.
Application Deadline: 9th July, 2021
Eligible Countries: Sub-Saharan African countries
To be Taken at (Country): University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, Birmingham UK
Number of Awards: 1
Cadbury Postdoctoral Fellowship – About
This program is financed by an endowment that empowers members of the staff at sub-Saharan African Universities to experience a period of time at the University of Birmingham. It is for that reason limited to candidates presently residing on the African continent and affiliated with an African Higher Education Institution.
The appointee will embark on a significant program of research and publication. While the precise goals of the program are to be identified with the partaker’s dedicated mentor, they should include the publication of top-quality outputs such as a single-authored book or peer-reviewed articles based on the fellow’s personal research. Furthermore, the partaker will facilitate exchange and collaboration between DASA and institutions in Africa, and engage with non-academic audiences and recipients or potential recipients of research.
The partaker will also impact Africa through teaching, using a maximum of six hours each week on average in the convening, dissertation supervision, teaching and assessment of modules, tutorial sessions, and other methods of student engagement. The department has a specific need for introductory (year 1 undergraduate) teaching in African history. The partaker will be offered the opportunity to attain a teaching qualification by the University’s professional development program, access to academic growth, and support structures including a devoted mentor.
The University will offer support for the visa application procedure, and it will fund the visa and pre-programmed visa application costs for the successful applicant. It will also be responsible for the appointee’s NHS surcharge fee, which allows the candidate to access the National Health Service.
Eligibility for Cadbury Postdoctoral Fellowship
To be eligible for Cadbury Postdoctoral Fellowship, applicants must satisfy the requirements below:
- Applicants should presently live on the African continent, and employed by or affiliated with an African Higher Education Institution.
- Applicants must either not presently hold a permanent academic position or submit, with their application, a statement endorsing that they will be allowed by their home institution for the duration of their appointment.
- A doctorate examined and passed between 30th June 2016 and 30th June 2021.
- A suitable record of research and publications.
- A convincing and achievable research and publication proposal in the field of African Studies.
- Ability to impact undergraduate and Masters’ level teaching in African Studies, including introductory (year 1 undergraduate) teaching in African history.
- Experience of collective research activity, including partaking in large research projects and meeting deadlines.
- An awareness of present policy concerns and contacts with civil society organizations.
- Knowledge in the history of Africa and/ or its diasporas.
Benefits of Cadbury Postdoctoral Fellowship
Beneficiaries of Cadbury Postdoctoral Fellowship will be offered the benefits below:
- The maximum salary that will be offered is £30,942 per year (This post is sponsored by an endowment, and the maximum salary cannot be exceeded).
Duration of Award: Fixed Term Contract from 1st of January, 2022 to 30th June 2023.
How to Apply for Cadbury Postdoctoral Fellowship
To apply for Cadbury Postdoctoral Fellowship, applicants should follow the guidelines below:
- As part of your application, please upload a piece of published research (there will be an option to upload documents while completing the electronic application form).
- It is vital to go through all application conditions in the Official Webpage (see Link below) before applying.
- GOOD LUCK!
To inquire further about Cadbury Postdoctoral Fellowship, please visit the official website.
Not interested in this particular scholarship? See other scholarships here.